Please Note: I have received numerous comments and emails with questions and requests regarding Contigo bottles. Please understand that I do not work for or with Contigo; I’m just a satisfied customer sharing my positive experience with this product. Contigo has care instructions and answers to common questions here. If you have questions about the care of these bottles or concerns about issues you have had with the product, please contact Contigo directly and limit comments on this post to reviews about the bottles. Comments with questions about issues with the bottles will not be posted or replied to. Thanks! 🙂
Update (10/2011): I recently discovered that Contigo also makes their bottles in stainless steel, and immediately bought one to try. I love it! I’m now in the process of switching over to all stainless, so we can avoid plastic altogether (our family is working on eliminating all plastic from our home). The water tastes great – no metallic flavor at all, and the stainless container is sturdier than the Tritan, which is really helpful with an active two year-old around. 🙂 We’re completely sold on the stainless Contigos!
I am always on the hunt for healthier, more convenient, frugal alternatives to products we use everyday. Since I drink a LOT of water, I’m always actively searching for the best possible water bottles. I use them constantly, both at home and on the go. So I was intrigued by Tammy’s recent post on the Contigo water bottles she picked up at Costco. After reading her review, I decided to try them for myself. And boy, am I glad I did!
I LOVE these bottles! I mean, really love them, and as picky as I am about my water bottles, that’s saying something. Here are my favorite features:
- 100% BPA free. No need to worry about the container you are drinking from – Contigo makes only BPA free bottles. It is absolutely essential to me that my water bottles be free of harmful BPA. Toxic plastic is an automatic deal breaker.
- Patented AUTOSEAL® lid is 100% leak-proof and 100% spill-proof. Press to sip. Release to seal. AUTOSEAL® automatically seals between sips to ensure no spills. This was the biggest selling point for me. I hate having to fiddle around with caps and lids when I want a drink. I have a lid-less water bottle with a twist-up spout, but leaving it open means I inevitably end up with spilled water. With Contigo bottles, there’s no more water on the floor, the seat of my car, the diaper bag, etc. Love that!
- One-handed operation for on-the-go drinking. Great when I’m trying to juggle a baby, toddler, two diaper bags and who knows what else, or when I’m pushing a stroller. It’s also a terrific feature during a workout. Also, no lid means no icky, smelly bacteria growth on the drinking spout. When you screw a lid over the drinking area, you create a warm, damp, dark environment over traces of your saliva – a breeding ground for bacteria. Gross! With Contigo, the drinking area stays uncovered and dry, so no more smelly water bottle spouts!
- Made out of stainless steel or BPA free Tritan™,if you prefer not to use stailess, both of which provide high impact resistance and won’t stain or retain odors. I’ve had to throw out several bottles after they developed an odor that I couldn’t seem to get rid of, no matter how often I cleaned them.
- Carabiner clip on the handle makes it easy to carry. Attach it to a bag strap for hands-free portability. This is my husband’s favorite feature. He loves being able to clip the bottle to his belt loop and have his water with him at all times. And I love that he no longer loses his water bottle! 🙂
- Top-rack dishwasher safe. Once we get a dishwasher, I’m sure I’ll appreciate this feature.
- Wide opening fits ice cubes. I normally drink my water at room temperature, but occasionally in summer when the temp is in the 100’s, I’ll drop a couple of ice cubes in to cool off. It will be nice not to have to wrestle with them to get them in the bottle.
- Volume markings help you gauge water intake.
The Contigo bottles come in a pack of three, in either pink/blue/green or black/green/purple embellished (Note: there are now several bottle designs; the new bottles released in 2011 have an improved grip, a great new look and an additional variety of colors. I’m really impressed with the new design!) . I chose the latter combo, giving my husband the black bottle and keeping the other two for myself (I drink significantly more water than he does!). These are 24oz. bottles, and while I prefer 32 ounces, the many terrific features make it worth refilling a little more often. If I’m going to be out for a while, I can just grab an extra bottle to have in the car, and it’s actually nice to have a smaller bottle to keep track of while shopping, etc. It also fits perfectly in the cup holder in my car and Kade’s stroller. Contigo does make a 32oz. bottle, which I may purchase soon to use around the house, as well as kids’ sized bottles, which we will be getting for Kaders when he’s a little older.
My husband just raves about these bottles – he loves the one-handed use, the AUTOSEAL®, and the carabiner clip. He actually high-fived me this afternoon and said “You’ve finally found the perfect water bottle for me, Schmoopie!” We’re both complete converts. I’m actually planning to pick up another set, we love them that much. Costco carries them for $18.99 – an excellent price for three high-quality, non-toxic water bottles. Especially when I checked them on Amazon – their best price is over $30! So run, don’t walk, to your nearest Costco (Now also available at Target – yay!), pick up a pack of these fantastic bottles, and enjoy!